This position is in the IBM The Weather Company business (TWC) or a shared services function supporting TWC. On August 22 2023, a definitive agreement was signed, under which Francisco Partners, a leading global investment firm that specializes in partnering with technology businesses, will acquire The Weather Company assets from IBM. It is currently expected that as of February 1, 2024, this position will be in a new company that is separate from IBM. Through increased investment and resources from Francisco Partners, The Weather Company will look to move beyond forecasting alone and bring new tools and experiences to users to help them understand how weather impacts all aspects of their lives, starting with health and well-being. For businesses, The Weather Company plans to offer more actionable insights so organizations can provide greater value to their customers. With its advertising platform, The Weather Company will continue to provide quality real-time experiences for the ad and subscription media industry, while complying with all consumer privacy laws and regulations. Don’t miss your opportunity to influence the future of our company!
Your Role and Responsibilities
We are seeking a seasoned Senior Design Leader to join our dynamic Aviation team at IBM. In this pivotal role, you will play a key part in re-imagining and modernizing the user experience for our enterprise products within The Weather Company Aviation portfolio.
Product Design Leadership:
- Engage in every facet of the product creation process, from ideation to post-launch refinement, utilizing your expertise in strategy, UX, interaction, and visual design.
- Leverage your diverse skill set to steer and influence outstanding product outcomes, collaborating with industry leaders to shape the future of our Aviation ecosystem.
- Work closely with science, product, development, and research teams to strategize, conceptualize, and design user experiences for our enterprise Aviation offerings, guiding projects from inception to launch.
- Conceptualize, validate, and iterate on innovative ideas that captivate, attract new clients, and address customer and business needs in the Aviation sector.
Design Leadership And Management
- Lead design discovery activities to identify products and features most valuable to our customers.
- Conduct design thinking workshops, both internally and with clients, contributing to user requirement gathering and definition.
- Develop and iterate on proof-of-concept prototypes, leading presentations to stakeholders in playbacks and new business opportunities.
- Lead, inspire, and manage a small yet impactful design team, providing day-to-day guidance and fostering trust across the organization.
Conceptualization and Prototyping:
- Work independently or collaboratively to swiftly sketch and prototype ideas.
- Execute user flows and high/low fidelity wireframes against complex requirements and workflows to enhance ease of use and customer satisfaction.
- Create interaction models and UI details that optimize user experiences, contributing to the systematic and thoughtful growth of the design system.
User Research And Testing
- Collaborate with user research teams to develop testing plans and distill insights for continuous improvement.
- Design and direct visually compelling interfaces and visualizations that surpass expectations and delight our customers.
Brand And Design System Advocacy
- Champion The Weather Company brand and Design System, collaborating with designers and leaders to establish, maintain, and document design style guides for consistency across properties.
- Prioritize work effectively, manage and plan design sprints, and optimize the design-to-development workflow.
- Assist in constructing roadmaps alongside product and developer peers.
- Provide constructive and practical feedback to designers and developers, facilitating decision-making and progress.
Join us at IBM and be a driving force in transforming the landscape of enterprise products through the power of design and innovation.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Extensive experience (in-house or agency) in roles such as Senior Lead Product Designer, Director, Principal User Experience Designer, Associate Creative Director, or equivalent positions.
- Background in innovative product design, demonstrating a track record of successfully leading product and content design teams.
- Strong design aesthetic with a proven ability to generate creative ideas and proof-of-concepts (POCs).
- Proficiency in leading workshops with clients, employing design thinking methodologies to effectively solve complex problems
- Expert knowledge of design and prototyping tools, including but not limited to Sketch, inVision, Adobe Creative Suite, Mural, and Figma.
- A killer portfolio that shows your passion for design and showcases your ability to create impactful and innovative solutions.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Enterprise Product Design experience
Knowledge of Weather and Weather data visualization.
Team operations and management.
Creative Direction and a highly developed design aesthetic,
Rapid Prototyping, Agile, and Lean UX Design methodologies.
Desire to make the best products in the industry, hands down
Infectious curiosity — always looking for opportunities to learn new things
Self-motivation, an open mind, and a sense of humor
Candid, honest, and above all, thoughtful and kind
About Business Unit
The Weather Company, an IBM Business, is the world’s leading weather provider, helping people and businesses make more informed decisions and take action in the face of weather. The powerful combination of IBM’s advanced AI and cloud capabilities with The Weather Company’s high-volume weather data, insights, advertising and media solutions across the open web help people, businesses and brands around the world prepare for and harness the power of weather in a scalable, privacy-forward way. The world’s most accurate forecaster overall, the company reaches hundreds of enterprise clients and more than 400 million monthly active users via its digital properties from The Weather Channel and Weather Underground.
Your Life @ IBM
In a world where technology never stands still, we understand that, dedication to our clients success, innovation that matters, and trust and personal responsibility in all our relationships, lives in what we do as IBMers as we strive to be the catalyst that makes the world work better.
Being an IBMer means you’ll be able to learn and develop yourself and your career, you’ll be encouraged to be courageous and experiment everyday, all whilst having continuous trust and support in an environment where everyone can thrive whatever their personal or professional background.
Our IBMers are growth minded, always staying curious, open to feedback and learning new information and skills to constantly transform themselves and our company. They are trusted to provide on-going feedback to help other IBMers grow, as well as collaborate with colleagues keeping in mind a team focused approach to include different perspectives to drive exceptional outcomes for our customers. The courage our IBMers have to make critical decisions everyday is essential to IBM becoming the catalyst for progress, always embracing challenges with resources they have to hand, a can-do attitude and always striving for an outcome focused approach within everything that they do.
Are you ready to be an IBMer?
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
IBM offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program. Eligible employees may have access to:
- Healthcare benefits including medical & prescription drug coverage, dental, vision, and mental health & well being
- Financial programs such as 401(k), the IBM Employee Stock Purchase Plan, financial counseling, life insurance, short & long- term disability coverage, and opportunities for performance based salary incentive programs
- Generous paid time off including 12 holidays, minimum 56 hours sick time, 120 hours vacation, 12 weeks parental bonding leave in accordance with IBM Policy, and other Paid Care Leave programs. IBM also offers paid family leave benefits to eligible employees where required by applicable law
- Training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform where IBMers can grow skills and obtain industry-recognized certifications to achieve their career goals
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups, giving & volunteer opportunities, and discounts on retail products, services & experiences
The compensation range and benefits for this position are based on a full-time schedule for a full calendar year. The salary will vary depending on your job-related skills, experience and location. Pay increment and frequency of pay will be in accordance with employment classification and applicable laws. For part time roles, your compensation and benefits will be adjusted to reflect your hours. Benefits may be pro-rated for those who start working during the calendar year.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, caste, genetics, pregnancy, disability, neurodivergence, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
To apply for this job please visit careers.ibm.com.